[Kdenlive-devel] profile proliferation

Stéphane Téletchéa steletch at free.fr
Mon Apr 20 09:16:31 UTC 2009

----- "Dan Dennedy" <dan at dennedy.org> a écrit :

> When I added the dual pass render profiles, it became abundantly
> clear
> that there was an incredible amount of redundancy. Most of the
> profiles vary simply by bitrate and # passes. I propose that we add a
> new attribute to the profile to indicate whether it offer rate
> controls and add some new widgets. Obviously, bitrate and # passes
> falls into there, but I am thinking GOP size (max key frame interval)
> and # bframes might as well. Sure, there could be more options, but
> this is the very low hanging fruit -- just look at the lists in the
> render dialog! Even though some things like DVD seem like they might
> use this should not, actually, because there are strict settings.
>
> Any objections? I prefer someone to volunteer because I have some
> major MLT work planned, but if no one gets around to it, I probably
> will. It would be a good task for a new developer.

Hum, while i agree to simplify profiles, one main advantage of kdenlive is the possibility to "easily" select profiles.
Kino provides such a "à la Prévert" list of parameters, but it is hard to understand their meaning rapidly, and discouraged me to use kino (parallel to the fact that kdenlive is much more easy to use for me).

If you want to simplify a little, you could reduce the number of "default" profiles (for instance to major commercial formats like SVCD, DVD, AHCD, ...) an provide a "advanced" button where the user can specify explicitly the above parameters.

Cheers,

Stéphane