[Kdenlive-devel] General guideline as regards translation of effects

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Tue Oct 21 10:06:42 UTC 2008

Dear Friends,

I would like to discuss with translators as regards the translation of
effect names.

In short: should we keep effect names in English or translate them into
the target language?

Here are the pros and cons:

1) Keep the English name

* Effects are plugins from MLT. Until now, theses packages are not
localized. This means that there is no official translation for them.

* If one of these plugins was one day localized, we would need to choose
the same effect names. So choosing English is the best solution.

* Translating English names is sometimes hard.

2) Translate the effect names

* Major sofwares are fully translated. Example: Gimp and its effects are
completely localized.

* A full translation means quality. The resulting sofware can be used
more widely and becomes a standard. The goal of Kdenlive is to capture
GNU/Linux user base.

* We may be using soon a translation web interface. Then it becomes easy
to work in teams and provide a good translation, even for effect names.

* I chose to translate effect names into French :)

I would like to discuss this issue with JB and all of you.
Feel free to react.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel