[Kdenlive-devel] Pop quiz to finish off KDE-Digest story

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Fri Nov 7 08:34:47 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 05 novembre 2008 à 14:40 -0500, Bugs Bane a écrit :
> I'm just about finished writing up the story for KDE-Digest. I suspect
> it would make a nice press release, too. Not being involved in the
> actual code myself (beyond reporting bugs) there were just a couple of
> quick questions to clear up to finish this off. Feel free to only
> answer the ones you know!

It would also be nice to publish information from the "camcorder"
end-user point of view :

1) Video editing is the last frontier under GNU/Linux

Video editing is one of the last domain that had no real alternative
under Free Software. kdenlive claims to become an alternative project to
closed source softwares like Vegas (Windows) or Final Cut Pro (MacOs).

Now it is possible to access power editing software under Linux. We hope
that one day professionnals (TV, reporters, documentary makers) will
erase Windows and use only free software.

2) A versatile support of Video camcorders formats

Kdenlive has a versatile support of new camcorders, including DV, HDV
(mpeg2) and AVCHD (h264, still needs some testing). This is due to MLT
and ffmeg support. Kdenlive is the graphical interface to a
professionnal solution called MLT, which relies on ffmpeg. This is the
power of Free Software.

3) Edit and export to any format
Kdenlive supports virtualy any kind of video formats in export. We also
provide custom export formats for Youtube, Dailymotion and Vimeo.  Film,
edit and export. Easy!

4) Could you advocate that Kdenlive is always looking for good
developpers. We have an impressive list of features to implement.

We would like to build a community. There is no limit to this project
and I hope that it can be useful.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré