[Kdenlive-devel] Advise on using NTSC 4/3 material in PAL 16/9 project

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Mar 27 18:39:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM, José Jorge <lists.jjorge at free.fr> wrote:
> Dan Dennedy escreveu:
>
> > create full output. What profile is the kdenlive project setting using
>  > - something based on PAL? I am not sure if there is a way to get the
>  > project properties in the GUI - I am not at a workstation that runs
>  > kdenlive while making this email. Probably there is, but I do not
>  > recall at the moment. Nevertheless, I know somewhere near the
>  > beginning of the .kdenlive file it indicates the profle being used. Is
>  > the profile something with "pal" in the name?
>  >
>  >

>  No, I precisely always choosed NTSC to get the most near to 30fps. But
>  in fact, I have tried both ;-(

kdenlive just uses inigo to do the rendering. Even if the executable
is named kdenlive_renderer, it is just a copy of the inigo code with
some different console messaging to report progress. I believe the
problem is due to the bugs in the profiles system in the release 0.2.4
version of MLT. kdenlive launches inigo with "... -consumer
profile=blah" instead of the "MLT_PROFILE=blah inigo..." syntax I had
you use. Some bugs involved order of initialization of MLT various
components. There was a situation where the avformat producer would
initialize to the default (25fps from dv_pal) before it had knowledge
of the profile set on the consumer.

I believe you can reproduce the jerky kdenlive output from the command
line using:
$ inigo your.mov -consumer avformat:file.name real_time=0
profile=dv_ntsc {paste}

--
+-DRD-+