[Kdenlive-devel] possibly impossible feature request - multichannel preview

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Tue Mar 4 18:59:56 UTC 2008

Hi

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:32 AM, robcanning <robcanning at eircom.net> wrote:
> hello,
>
>  i am currently working on a multichannel video installation using
>  kdenlive and four different projectors playing four synchronized films
>
>  what would be great would be one of two things:
>  while editing, to have each of my four timeline tracks assigned to a
>  independent time line monitors
>  this maybe tricky to implement and low on the development priorities i
>  guess?

In my opinion, the NLE is the wrong tool for the job. You would be
better served using MLT's miracle, which is a multi-unit video playout
server. It was the reason for MLT's development in the first place. Of
course, it can load a kdenlive project and play it out real time as
long as you do not overload it with effects. However,  SDL and X11 are
not ideal candidates for video output, and miracle is intended to be
used with SDI boards. However, you might be able to get multiple SDI
outputs working as a poor man's solution. (I have not tried it in a
while). And there are some crude miracle clients available for free.
However, you are quickly approaching something rather high end and
specialized, and you will have difficulty finding a capable and cheap
FOSS solution.

--
+-DRD-+