[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive KDE4 feedback and questions

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Tue Jul 15 23:21:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> * During rendering Kdenlive becomes very slow. inigo eats up most
> available power on my dual-core computer with 4Gb RAM. It would be nice
> to set a maximum % of processor usage.

This could be considered a feature if it is MLT is using all that CPU.
However, you might want some control over it.

The default real_time value in consumer_avformat is -1 to take
advantage of separate decode and encode threads without dropping
frames. I do not know if kdenlive/kde4 sets that explicitly - I have
not used this version yet. Also, there is a threads property on
consumer_avformat for multi-threaded codecs. In addition,  kdenlive
could launch inigo with MLT_AVFORMAT_THREADS environment variable to
affect both producer and consumer thread counts. If kdenlive wants
even more control, when it generates westley XML it can add a threads
property to the producers instead of using MLT_AVFORMAT_THREADS.

Warning: by default, MLT will keep all producers, their threads, and
their file handles open as it uses each producer - this is for random
access. The default Linux configuration is 256 threads per process. I
have seen where this limit is reached, so for sequential processing
like rendering, I added a property named "autoclose" that you can set
=1 on the playlist, and it will close the producers as the overall
position exceeds their last frame.

--
+-DRD-+