[Kdenlive-devel] Effect list missing

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Feb 15 18:26:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:07 AM, jb <jb at kdenlive.org> wrote:
> Dan Dennedy wrote:
>  > The .dat files are supposed to be gone with the new MLT module
>  > registration system, but this should be transparent to kdenlive.
>  >
>  >
>  I just noticed that. It is not transparent since Kdenlive used the .dat
>  files to know which filters were installed on the user's system so that
>  it only displayed the available ones.
>
>  I am currently trying to find a way to retrieve the filter's names from
>  the repository...

I already have a pending checkin that will give you this. Give me 24 hours.

>  > JB might still doing a lot of work on the XML-defined effects system.
>  > If there is a lot of work still to do, then we should collaborate on
>  > MLT's services metadata system.
>  >
>  Yes, I think for the KDE4 version, it would be great to be able to
>  automatically retrieve filters parameters description so that the XML
>  effects files can be automatically built from mlt's infos.

I am taking notes here:
http://www.mltframework.org/twiki/bin/view/MLT/MetadataRequirements

And I have actually started a little work and more thoughts to add.
Maybe the requirements should make it possible for Kdenlive4
implementation not even require its own effect files. OTOH, your own
implementation could provide a level of enhancement with specific
knowledge of certain UI capabilities you have that MLT can not assume.