[Kdenlive-devel] [Mlt-devel] Doc: installing from source

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Dec 19 20:09:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Alberto Villa <villa.alberto at gmail.com> wrote:
> dan (and jb?), i need a little more help from you
> i've written the ports for mlt and freebsd. since i must provide some options
> (without breaking kdenlive) i have to know more about:
> - ladspa
> - jackrack
> - dv
> - sdl
>
> ladspa
> does mlt require this (except from the jackrack module)? i'd put this in with
> swhplugins in the kdenlive port if possible

Optional, but exposes more audio filter options in kdenlive.

> jackrack
> i've set ladspa.h as needed at buildtime, but is ladspa ('listplugins' for
> example) needed at runtime?

Optional, and not used in kdenlive AFAIK.

> dv
> can i build kdenlive without this? i don't mind if it can only read jpg then,
> i have to know if i can build and run kdenlive without it

Entirely optional and mostly unnecessary if the avformat module is
available, but if you plan not to include avformat for reasons of
codec patent licensing, then I recommend to keep this module along
with the kino module so you can at least edit DV.

> sdl
> if i have direct rendering on in xorg, is this ABSOLUTELY needed?

This is absolutely required by kdenlive. Without it, I bet kdenlive will crash.

> in other words: can i build and run kdenlive if mlt has everything disabled
> except from:
> avformat
> swscale ( ^ both ffmpeg, i know)
> qimage
> westley
> ? is any of these four options non ABSOLUTELY required?

I think qimage is not required, but something in kdenlive may fail if
gtk2 is then not available. One of the 2 is required to load images.
There is a 3rd image loader (sdl_image), but I think it might be
unreliable and certainly less tested.

> i know that this would result in poor mlt and kdenlive. be sure, options are
> all turned on by default (and automatic packages will be built with them on),
> but ports work this way, and i must provide options...
>
> and for my curiosity: what's the gtk module good for?

It provides image loading (via gdk-pixbuf), which typically supports
more formats than qimage including TGA sequences, which is a popular
alternative to PNG because they too support alpha channels. It also
contains a titler using Pango, that kdenlive does not use. Finally, it
contains a YUV image scaler that works quite good and fast. Without
it, MLT has a fallback scaler this is pretty crappy, but works. Note
to self: make a ffmpeg/libswscale-based filter for scaling for systems
that do not want to add a gtk2 dependency.

> oh, another question: what name should i use for mlt svn ports?
> is 0.3.3.20081218 good, for example? is 0.3.2.20081218 better (kdenlive will
> be 0.7.0.20081218)? would you like anything else?

I prefer 0.3.3...

--
+-DRD-+