[Kdenlive-devel] Logo - was: Re: Website changes

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Fri Dec 19 12:35:43 UTC 2008

Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> Dear Mads,
>
> The registered logo issue is a legal issue.
> The discussions are not at stake.
>
> There are plenty of things to do,
> except taking FCP logo and modifying it.
>
> Cinephilac is free to submit ANY logo,
> except Casablanca, adobe, avid, pinnacle, and so logos,
> therefore I don't understand these complains.
>
> @cinephiliac: what is your username on kdenlive website, so I can add
> you to the documentation writer role. Also, add yourself on the map. We
> welcome any of your contributions.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jean-Michel

It seems to me that you STILL don't get it. Cinephiliac submitted
multiple requests for feedback and had his work out in the open for some
time. Apparently no one thought to mention that the graphic was too
close to FCP until the very end. This is quite unfortunate. Also, you
are maybe making too big a deal out of the similarity. The clapperboard
graphic is pretty ubiquitous and it only makes sense for it to appear in
variations within the logo for video editing apps. This seems to be an
honest mistake and not deliberate copying as you seem to be insinuating.

The bottom line is that this situation was unfortunate but seemed to
have been avoidable. And sending potential contributors into a buzzsaw
isn't a good way to get more people to help.