[Kdenlive-devel] AVCHD/h264 decoding benchmarking

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Wed Dec 17 22:24:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 10:43 -0800, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>> configure with --enable-pthreads and run ffplay with the -threads
>> option followed by the number of worker threads to use. It will still
>> keep a decoder control thread and separate reader/output threads, all
>> of which are fairly light, so it is a good idea to use (#cores - 1)
>> for the worker threads.
>
> Ah ... this skiploop is not documented.

documented in the source :-). Actually, I knew of it because of 'ffplay -h'

> ffplay -skiploop 48 -threads 2 avchd-test-1.mts works very well.
>
> By the way, FFmpeg developers suggested that we do not decode B frames
> during viewing. I don't know is this can apply to Kdenlive.

Yeah, I'm not sure, but I will experiment with it. I might be okay to
skip B frames in preview (user might see repeated frames) and then
process them during render. With ffplay you can use "-skipframe 16" to
skip B frames.

> So Kdenlive is really AVCHD compliant. Good news. I am really pleased.

It still has seeking problems.

--
+-DRD-+