[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive packaging policies

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Wed Dec 17 18:20:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:14 AM, opensourcecat <opensourcecat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On lunedì 15 dicembre 2008 10:00:12 Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
>> I don't see many distributions providing efforts to package Kdenlive
>> cleanly, with all latest MLT and ffmpeg codecs, appart for Marillat
>> Debian-multimedia and Gentoo exceptions.
>
> I had a couple of e-mails with Toni, the Kdenlive packager for packam project
> witch provides kdenlive to most opensuse distributions.
> He says that it can be done to add a kdenlive-unstable, mlt-unstable and
> mlt++-unstable packages and updates will only be a matter of free time of the
> packager. -unstable and released packages will be mutually exclusive.
>
> The only problem, which i didn't completely understand, is talking about mlt-
> unstable libraries which should be different from stable ones. Follows what he
> said:
> ***
> [...]
> And the kdenlive-unstable will Requires: mlt-unstable* and mlt++-unstable and
> is mutally eclusive to kdenlive. The only problem we should be aware: I would
> prefer that the so-names of the unstable mlt-packages are different to the
> released ones. Otherwise it would be harder to keep them mutually eclusive.
> ***

I understand his request for differing so-names on different mlt
packages. Currently, it does not do this, but I need to justify the
effort to making a change. What is the meaning of stable and unstable
here? Are they simply different releases or is it latest release vs.
unreleased trunk versions? Why is it necessary or desirable to have
two versions in the repo?

--
+-DRD-+