[Kdenlive-devel] Logo - was: Re: Website changes

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Wed Dec 17 12:04:43 UTC 2008

onsdag 17 December 2008 skrev Jean-Michel Pouré:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 11:23 +0100, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> > However, I still think that Cinephiliacs icon is sufficiently
> > different from
> > the other icons to work in a menu with them, and I truly do not think
> > that
> > Apple will ever sue the Kdenlive Community for using an icon that
> > looks like
> > FCP's or IMovie's.
>
> If you have a look at Apple FCP clapboard, it is very much the same:
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2419138485_1832b1e6c1.jpg?v=0
>
> FCP icon is a registered trademark. Trademarks include names and icons.
> You cannot simply do it and this is a legal issue.

[...]
> The word ressembling means in legal terms that a basic user (my mother)
> could possibly (sometimes) be mistaken and run Kdenlive instead of FCP.
>
> I am very sorry for that.

I think your assement of the situation is wrong. I am not prepared to make an
issue out of it, however.

Regards

Mads

P.S. I was unable to find anything but textual trademarks for Final Cut at
http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm - if you have a reference to the
trademark registering for the Final Cut Pro Logo/Icon I would be happy to get
it.

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

The US population is 4 % of the global one. They produce 23 % of the global
pollution.