[Kdenlive-devel] Logo - was: Re: Website changes

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Wed Dec 17 10:32:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 11:23 +0100, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> However, I still think that Cinephiliacs icon is sufficiently
> different from
> the other icons to work in a menu with them, and I truly do not think
> that
> Apple will ever sue the Kdenlive Community for using an icon that
> looks like
> FCP's or IMovie's.

If you have a look at Apple FCP clapboard, it is very much the same:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2419138485_1832b1e6c1.jpg?v=0

FCP icon is a registered trademark. Trademarks include names and icons.
You cannot simply do it and this is a legal issue.

Would you agree to rename Kdenlive "Final Cut". This is simply
impossible and illegal.

What you propose is exactly the same. Using FCP logo or a ressembling
logo is im-po-ssi-ble.

The word ressembling means in legal terms that a basic user (my mother)
could possibly (sometimes) be mistaken and run Kdenlive instead of FCP.

I am very sorry for that.
There is plenty of other choices for Kdenlive logo.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel