[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive packaging policies

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Mon Dec 15 09:00:12 UTC 2008

Dear friends,

I would like to discuss the packaging policies of Kdenlive.

I don't see many distributions providing efforts to package Kdenlive
cleanly, with all latest MLT and ffmpeg codecs, appart for Marillat
Debian-multimedia and Gentoo exceptions.

Of course I did not test all packages, so I might be wrong. Maybe some
packagers do not simply have the skills to compile Kdenlive cleanly. And
we cannot expect end-users to be able to compile ffmpeg, MLT and
Kdenlive with full options turned-on.

So we need packages:

@mads: is SuSE providing a build farm? What is the advancement of this
project?
@dan: do you think it would be possible to build static version of MLT,
including all ffmpeg stuff staticly.

The idea would be to provide daily packages.

I can participate in the project setting-up a farm.
In France, it is possible to hire computers online for a few bucks.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel