[Kdenlive-devel] ffmpeg VDPO patch for h264 decoding

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Mon Dec 15 08:03:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 21:33 -0800, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> I believe all cards that support VDPAU and CUDA require PCI Express
> x16. I do not have any computers that support that! My main
> workstation is a dual Athlon 2000 from 2001, which was high end for
> the time. It only has AGP, but it is still a decent desktop system by
> even today's standards. I can not even locate a video card at a
> physical retailer that carries cards for AGP! Last spring I built a
> Quad Core system to mimic the setup of the a product I was helping to
> develop for a commercial MLT user. It only supports up to x8 PCI
> Express. I do have a MacBook Pro from my employer with an 8600M GT,
> but it is not clear if it is supported. I have 64-bit Arch Linux
> running on it, and I will see if I can get it working.

I compiled yesterday night, it works super-fast.
My laptop was bought for 450€ and has a GeForce 8400.
Viewing the AVCHD file requires 10% computer power, nothing.

Will make a short tutorial and upload it.

Maybe you could upgrade your main board+CPU.
According to Nvidia, the GeForce 8200 is supported.

This one has integrated NVIDIA™ GeForce 8200 for 71€:
http://www.materiel.net/ctl/Socket_AM2/36501-A_N78HD.html

Then add a dual athlon for 63€:
http://www.materiel.net/ctl/Processeurs_socket_AM2/39417-Athlon_64_X2_4850e.html

You can also add some inexpensive GeForce 9200 card.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel