[Kdenlive-devel] General patterns in the wishlist items

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Mon Dec 8 07:27:02 UTC 2008

mandag 08 December 2008 skrev Dan Dennedy:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:49 AM, Mads Bondo Dydensborg
> <mads at dydensborg.dk> wrote:
> > I think there might now be an additional one-or-two issues:
> > 5. Add a crossfade transition (perhaps make composite crossfade by
default)
> > 6. Crossfade audio on transitions
> >
> > I am not totally sure, but I think we should do 5 for reasons of
> > ease-of-use...
>
> You mean video crossfade, i.e. dissolve? I use dissolve personally to
> prevent confusion over audio vs. video. The point here is to make
> something with that label so people do not think it is missing? I
> agree.

Yes - several people in both forums and IRC have asked for it, and it takes
some explaining to get them to understand the power and flexibility of the
composite transition. Lots of people probably miss it completely. So, a
composite in disguise would be fine with me. (Off topic: I recall the gimp,
where literraly 1000's of people have asked about creating simple geometric
figures along the years, and the gimp developers keep insisting that creating
a mask using selections, and whatnot, is the perfect approach to drawing a
circle).

Dissolve or crossfade, your call. In Danish the technical term
is "krydsblænde", which no new user will know, but which is strictly a visual
term, ie. no builtin ambigity.

> > And 6 is mostly because it is cumbersome for users to fiddle
> > with fade-in/outs manually whenever they do a transition.
>
> I agree. The three most common edits are cut (none), dissolve with
> crossfade, and fade to/from black (or at least they should be ;-). We
> should make these as quick and easy as possible. I think it would be
> just fine to automatically create the audio level key frames whenever
> a transition is added. Just make sure to use the currently set audio
> level at time X instead of assuming it is 1.0. The user may have
> adjusted their audio levels prior to adding the transition, and we
> don't want to screw that up.

Agreed. We might also need some mechanism to keep the fades synchronized with
any (length) changes to the transition though?

Regards

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

You may not use the Software in connection with any site that disparages
Microsoft, MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products or services, infringe any
intellectual property or other rights of these parties, violate any state,
federal or international law, or promote racism, hatred or pornography.
                                     - Part of MS Frontpage 2002 EULA