[Kdenlive-devel] DV-type2 file fixing?

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Oct 11 05:12:40 UTC 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 5:20 AM, el jefe delito wrote:

> >Why convert .dv to .dv? You said you had problematic AVI, and my
> suggestion
> >was only for the problematic AVIs.
> The original files were DV-type2 and had an extension of .dv.  I
> took what you had suggested me and adapted it for my files.
>
> >Are you certain that the original .dv files were really Raw DV?
> What created
> >them?
> No, they were (AFAIK) DV-type2 files, I thought.  That is how I
> meant to capture them, but yes the extension is a bit suspect.  I
> captured/created them in Kino.  Here is a file listing for one (I
> tried a few more

A "type 2" refers to an AVI. Since Kino automatically adds the
correct filename extension and you have .dv extensions, these must be
Raw DV and not (type 2) AVI.

> and they all gave the same output)
> $ file clip.dv
> clip.dv: DIF (DV) movie file (NTSC)

This confirms it; DIF is a less popular synonym for Raw DV.

> If the original file worked and was reencoded, why would its output
> file not work?  Should I try to reencode them differently?  Am I
> not working with DV-type2 (AVI) here at all but with raw DV?  And
> does it matter?
> Should i recapture the footage as a different file or in KDEnlive
> rather than in Kino?

The original .dv files do not need to be re-encoded or re-muxed. They
should be fine as is. So, your original reported problem is not
related to any ffmpeg issue with AVI processing. So, we need to do
more investigation into the problem.