[Kdenlive-devel] [Mlt-devel] h264 AVCHD and MLT multi-treaded decoding

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sat Nov 10 06:12:42 UTC 2007

Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> Dear Dave and friends,
>
> Thank you for this answer about MLT libavformat multi-threaded decoding.
> I just tested MLT and Kdenlive with Canon HG10 h264 AVCHD files.
>
> Decoding works but is *** very *** slow, even with real_time=1.
> The first core of my Athlon AMD64x2 is floded.
> And the second core stands nearly idle.

I have a Core 2 Duo. HDV is playing poorly for me as well. Furthermore,
neither CPU is being utilized anywhere near its fullest. This means
there is a "bottle neck" somewhere. I want to look into this first so I
can be sure to observe any multi-threaded usage of ffmpeg.
> Could someone look at consumer_avformat.c to see
> if multi-threaded decoding could be enabled.

I took a look at ffmpeg to see how to integrate multi-threading, and it
looks easy.