[Kdenlive-devel] h264 AVCHD and MLT multi-treaded decoding

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Thu Nov 8 13:21:24 UTC 2007

Dear Dave and friends,

Thank you for this answer about MLT libavformat multi-threaded decoding.
I just tested MLT and Kdenlive with Canon HG10 h264 AVCHD files.

Decoding works but is *** very *** slow, even with real_time=1.
The first core of my Athlon AMD64x2 is floded.
And the second core stands nearly idle.

Could someone look at consumer_avformat.c to see
if multi-threaded decoding could be enabled.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

P.S. This is a month old message from Dan:

> When using Kdenlive, the activity of by AMDx2 processor sometimes
> reaches 50%. Is MLT multi-threaded?

Yes, but only in a trivial sense because there is no parallel
processing. It just uses the threading for latency between the consumer
and all the processing ahead of it. For example, while one thread in the
the SDL consumer is updating the display, another thread is preparing
the next or additional frames in a serial fashion. This is what the
generic consumer property "real_time" controls. When set to 1, there is
a queue that can fill causing it to skip processing frame to maintain
"realtime." When set to 0, the framework consumer multithreading is
disabled.

> Can it take advantage of ffmpeg AVCHD multi-threaded decoding?
Maybe just by setting some options in consumer_avformat.c.