[Kdenlive-devel] small feature suggestion regarding crossfade transition

Florian Cramer fc-kdenlive at plaintext.cc
Tue Mar 27 21:35:53 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, 27. März 2007 um 10:59:29 Uhr (+0200) schrieb jb:
> On Monday 26 March 2007 22.20:58 Florian Cramer wrote:
> > First of all, I cordially thank all developers for a great piece of
> > software. kdenlive is, even at its current stage, both powerful and a
> > joy to use, something that cannot be said of any other free software
> > video editor. For years, I have been waiting for such a program. And I
> > would like to help with user advocacy and bug reports.
>
> Thanks !

In a first effort, I wrote a comparative description of kino, cinelerra
and kdenlive at
http://pzwart2.wdka.hro.nl/phorum/viewtopic.php?t=145
This is the forum of the international media design M.A. study program
at Piet Zwart Institute, Willem de Kooning Academie Rotterdam, a leading
Dutch art school. kdenlive is highly interesting to us and our students
as we're generally emphasizing and teaching work with free software and
Linux/GNU.

> You can already partly acheive this effect with the "push" or "pip"
> transitions (although I admit it is maybe not very intuitive).

Many thanks, I also put it into the above document!

We have one bug that consistently affects kdenlive (0.4 + 0.5svn) when
it is used on PowerPC-Macs (Powerbook and Mac Mini, both with 7400/G4
CPUs and Radeon 9200 chipsets) running Linux (Gentoo).  This bug does
neither appears on a P4 machine running Gentoo, nor on a Thinkpad with
the same Radeon 9200 chipset running Debian, so it seems
PowerMac-related:

When playing back video in kdenlive (both clip and timeline), all colors
are falisified, turning into purple and green. When the video is paused,
or the cursor is manually moved in the video, this problem does not occur
and colors remain correct.  It seems to me as if kdenlive switches from
non-accelerated to xv-/hardware-accelerated video when playback is
started?! Yet other xv-accelerated video players (mplayer, vlc,
xine, ffplay) work fine on the same machines.

I get exactly the same bug, on the same PPC Mac hardware running any
flavor of Linux when using the kaffeine media player with deinterlacing
at the setting "high CPU usage, good quality" or better (not at "medium
CPU usage" or lower). kaffeine uses a "tvtime plugin" for deinterlacing.
Could this possibly also be the culprit in kdenlive?

Florian

--
http://cramer.plaintext.cc:70
gopher://cramer.plaintext.cc