[Kdenlive-devel] mlt profiles

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Tue Jul 31 17:25:12 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 6:43:35 am Aleksander Adamowski wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org> wrote:
> > I just fixed this, and the prefix can now be obtained via pkg-config as:
> >
> > pkg-config --variable=prefix mlt-framework
>
> Using pkg-config by KDEnlive build system woudn't be good for me and
> others using kdenlive-builder because system wide pkg-config would

Is this script even necessary now that mlt's configure --avformat-svn
statically links and lets you specify all the options you want?

> know nothing about MLT installed in some directory in a user's
> homedir.

If your script would set PKG_CONFIG_PATH, then pkg-config would find the
mlt-framework.pc in a user's homedir.

> The problem in my case is that KDEnlive build system in fact discovers
> where my MLT installation is located:
>
> $ pwd
> /home/olo/misc/soft/Graphics/KDEnlive/kdenlive-dev-helpers/kdenlive
> $ grep -i mlt Makefile*
> Makefile:KDE_XSL_STYLESHEET =
> /usr/share/apps/ksgmltools2/customization/kde-chunk.xsl
> Makefile:LIBMLT_CFLAGS =
> -I/home/olo/build/kdenlive.2007-07-31_14_16/include
> -I/home/olo/build/kdenlive.2007-07-31_14_16/include/mlt -D_REENTRANT
> Makefile:LIBMLT_LIBS = -L/home/olo/build/kdenlive.2007-07-31_14_16/lib
> -lmlt Makefile.in:LIBMLT_CFLAGS = @LIBMLT_CFLAGS@
> Makefile.in:LIBMLT_LIBS = @LIBMLT_LIBS@
>
> And the KDEnlive binary is correctly linked with those. The same
> prefix (/home/olo/build/kdenlive.2007-07-31_14_16) is specified for
> all 4 source trees that are built: ffmpeg, mlt, mlt++, kdenlive.
>
> KDenlive binary properly loads the dynamically linked MLT libraries,
> as debugging with LD_DEBUG indicates.
>
> But KDEnlive still complains that it cannot locate MLT libraries on
> startup.
>
> That's the problem.
>
> And it has worked previously.

Geez, I know it's not optimal, but you are not reading closely enough! This is
not anything to do with the libraries and dynamic linking. It's not anything
to do with the way it gets built. Kdenlive is now looking for the MLT
profiles, but it is not yet smart enough to default to the MLT prefix, so it
presents a dialog asking you. I already explained that you need to specify
the MLT prefix in this dialog. Look in
`mlt-config --prefix`/share/mlt/profiles. Do you see files in there? If so,
then the value of `mlt-config --prefix` is what you need to enter into the
dialog (manually, interactively). If you do not have files in the profiles
dir, then kdenlive will continually present the dialog.

--
+-DRD-+