[Kdenlive-devel] HDV 1080 - 24p

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Fri Jul 27 07:08:33 UTC 2007

By the way, did you notice my problems (BUG?) here:
http://www.kdenlive.org/bbforum/viewforum.php?f=16

Le jeudi 26 juillet 2007 à 16:55 -0700, Dan Dennedy a écrit :
> yes and no. material that is truly 1080 24 fps progressive or
> interlace is
> support. However, we do not have anything yet to do the reverse
> pulldown
> properly. I have some 1080 60Hz samples, and on brief analysis, the
> pattern
> of interlaced vs. progressive frames seems very odd. I not sure
> whether to
> call it 60i or 24p because actually its neither, and I do not know who
> blame for the confusing terminology. When we can do the pulldown
> properly,
> then 24 fps is no problem. I do not have a 50 Hz with pulldown stream;
> is
> that what European cameras provide?

I am not sure to understand what you mean by pulldown.

>From what I read on Internet, the HV20 as a native 1920x1080 CMOS
captor. It can stream native 1920x1080 full frames when connected
through DMI. Somes people use the HV20 connected to a laptop for best
quality.

When operating in other modes, the images are always reduced from the
original 1920x1080 format. The best operation mode is 1080-24p, because
it provides full-frames. But the camera can operate in other modes, such
as 1080i and even PAL-DV.

> > Canon latest HV20 camcorder offers 1080 24p for less than 1000€.
>
> My samples are from this camera, and I had a chance to test it
> recently with
> dvgrab and a little bit so far with ffmpeg+mlt. It's a very cool
> camera.

You are a lucky guy. It is probably the best camcorder around at
consumer price. To operate in 1080-24p, you only have to switch it to
cinema mode, I guess.

All kind of test footage, in raw format, can be found here:
http://www.hv20.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel