[Kdenlive-devel] vasst m2t pal footage rights & kdenlive crash with m2t files

jb jb at ader.ch
Tue Jan 2 22:02:52 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 06:40, David Arendt wrote:
> I noticed that for your testing you used the m2t clips from vasst. I
> just want to let you know that I am the producer of these clips. As I
> always like supporting open source software I give you the permission to
> use this clips for demo material for kdenlive. This is only the case for
> the PAL clips, the NTSC clips are from another person.

Hello!

Thanks, for this. I now own a hdv camera, so I can test on my own files, but
thanks anyways, can be usefull.

> confusing data is coming from starting capture or from beginning of
> tape. The camcorder the files have been captured from is a Sony HDR-FX1E.

I myself have a Sony HVR-V1 and successfully imported my images with a patched
dvgrab. I never noticed the crash you mentionned, but maybe I always played a
few seconds of the tape before grabbing.

The dvgrab patch was delevopped by Dan Streetman as a proof of concept, and it
is known to segfault on Ctrl-C, but the files should be ok. A cleaner
implementation of HDV for dvgrab is currently being worked on (see:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=31300102&forum_id=5545 )

> If you like to experiment with the nonworking capture, I have put it
> online at http://www.luxmemories.lu/examples/m2t/kdenlive/w001.m2t

I will anyways try to make some test with the broken file you provided.

> Many thanks for this wonderfull NLE. I am really surprised by preview
> and rendering speed. Continue like that. Also is there any possibilty to
> make a donation for you ?

Thanks a lot. Congratulations should go to the FFMPEG team and MLT developers
who made a fantastic job with the video framework behind Kdenlive. There is
currently no way to make donations now, but I think if we can gather some
money, the best would probably be to check with the MLT guys to see if that
would help them, because a lot of work has still to be done in MLT to add new
effects, full HDV support and more...

Regards

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle