[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive Problems

Dr. Wolfgang Heller wolfgang.heller at web.de
Wed Feb 14 06:08:06 UTC 2007

Dear Kdenlive-team,

thanks for developing Kdenlive. It is really a great tool.
Unfortunately I have a lot of problems with 30fps AVI-videos from my Casio
Exilim EX S600 camera.
If I work with the standard 25fps PAL configuration of kdenlive 5 frames are
thrown away every second leading to jumps in the video.
If I try to export as DVD (which is 30fps), the sound is not in sync with the
video.
I also tried to export as raw DV NTSC. In this case sound and video are in
sync but each clip is cut by 20%. (with the 0.4 version)

I have not found a regular way to change to project settings to 30fps.
Changes in the configuration dialog have no effect.
If I manually change the line <properties videoprofile="" .........
projectvideoformat="1" projectfps="30" projectheight="480" outpoint="0"
projectwidth="720" inpoint="0" /> I can edit my videos and NTSC 720x480 30fps
is shown in the bottom of the window. Unfortunately the
slider is always 20% away from the mouse position and the clip length is
wrong. E.g. a 5s clip with 150 frames shows 00:00:05:24 as last frame.
Exporting as raw DV NTSC or DVD however does not work with the 0.5svn
 version. Something is being done but in the end the file has 0 bytes.

The funny thing is: If I load the .kdenlive file edited in that way with the
0.5svn version into the 0.4 version I can export the video as raw DV NTSC.
No jumps in the video and sound is in sync.
I can load this DV file e.g with Kino and export it as DVD (using mencoder).
With the 0.4 version editing a 30fps project does not work (wrong
 calculations on the timeline, e.g a 5s video is shown as 6s, shifting videos
 makes problems etc, but the slider is at mouse position...).

In addition I do not have sound while editing in 0.5svn ("SDL failed to open
audio: No available audio device") whereas in the 0.4 version sound works.

I hope this report helps to improve kdenlive.

Best regards
Wolfgang Heller