[Kdenlive-devel] AVI DV interlaced source files

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Nov 2 07:01:20 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 05:36, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> When trying to edit AVI DV source files, the result *** seems *** to be
> quite bad, on a computer. Interlaced artefacts can be seen. Is this
> because I watch a computer and not a TV ?

Yes

> Just for information, does Kdenlive support interlaced AVI DV files, or
> should we deinterlace AVI DV source files before editing a film?

You should not deinterlace before editing. It is a step you might apply at
rendering depending upon the target. If you are rendering for output through
DV or DVD (or anything that targets the television), then you should keep the
interlacing. If a DVD player is playing to a progressive display device, then
you should let the player take care of the deinterlacing.

However, if you plan to distribute the file over the Internet then you will
want to deinterlace because the computer's progressive monitor is the most
common display device. Even though some people might play back a video
received through the Internet through something attached to their TV, not
many of those devices properly handle interlaced playback.

MLT handles deinterlacing (although not the greatest) when instructed
(progressive=1 property set on consumer). It also does field-based rendering
on certain, critical effects (e.g. composite) when you retain interlace.