[Kdenlive-devel] Re: ieee1394 (firewire) support in mlt

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sun Jan 15 21:33:34 UTC 2006

On Friday 13 January 2006 03:15, jb wrote:
> I don't really understand the details of MLT's architecture, but
> wouldn't it be possible to write an MLT consumer for libiec61883
> (http://www.linux1394.org/) ?

Consumers receive uncompressed audio/video. Therefore, the consumer must
invoke some encoder and muxer. So, will you use consumer_libdv or
consumer_avformat or make it configurable? And how does one tell the existing
consumer implementations of each of those to output using libiec61883 instead
of a file. It is not possible in the current implementation, and it may be a
little messy to factor that in, but should be possible.

> If not possible, and unless someone on this list feels ready to improve
> the ffmpeg/avformat dv support as Dan suggested, we should probably use
> libiec61883 from kdenlive for firewire export and import. The library
> has some nice examples showing how to do this...

Since I am the libiec61883 lead developer, I will explore this issue further
since it is in my interest to figure out a good usage model for the community
of its users. My thought is that by integrating it at a low level such as
ffmpeg/libavformat, we make it available to many applications.