[Kdenlive-devel] Re: ieee1394 (firewire) support in mlt

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Jan 13 05:13:52 UTC 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 15:43, Lúcio Flávio Corrêa wrote:
> Hi Dan. I'd like to know what's the current status of firewire support in
> mlt, because i plan to add import/export and external preview in kdenlive.

The only support is that which is available through avformat, if it works. I
have not tested it. At one point I was playing around with v4l support
through the avformat producer, but then it broke in order to support more
important things. I do not think the current architecture of MLT lends itself
well towards this because it has no good way currently to split up input,
demux, and decoder. We are fortunate that ffmpeg provides such good support
for these things as a bundle. So, I suppose the way forward is to improve
ieee1394 support in ffmpeg/avformat. There is a dv1394 input format in
ffmpeg, but not for output.