[Kdenlive-devel] Working on rendering feature

jb jb at ader.ch
Tue Feb 14 11:40:19 UTC 2006

Ruslan Popov wrote:
> Heh, the year I've been out of Kdenlive programing has the results. I spend a
> lot of time to understand the GUI code :(
> I look at AVFileFormat* classes, why does it need to create this set of
> classes for simple File Saving dialog?

I had never looked at these files before, but it seems like all that was
designed to automatically create dialogs from some kind of xml
describing the output formats with their parameters...

> AVFileFormatDesc class wants 'const char *&' as second parameter. What the
> reason to use '*&' here???

I don't see any reason. You can probably change all the AVFileFormat* to
use "const char *"

> If I understand right, I need to implement some features in the
> AVFileFormatWidget class and in the nearby classes.

Looks like those classes where implemented to read a list of accepted
file formats created by the renderer (see KRender::fileFormats()) and
then create a widget displaying all formats with options.

Currently I don't think there is a way to retrieve the different output
file formats accepted by MLT (most of them rely on the avformat
consumer). Also, I don't think there is a way to pass arguments to the
consumer, other than the file extension. So you cannot for example set
the "-taget pal-dvd" to create a pal dvd compliant mpeg file.

So I guess that for the moment we will have to manually built an
AVFileFormatDesc list of formats, and allow a simple choice between
formats (dv, mpeg, ...) with no other options... then just pass the file
name with the correct extension to the consumer...

Jean-Baptiste