[Kdenlive-devel] Re: Development news... Questions

jb jb at ader.ch
Thu Feb 9 10:54:02 UTC 2006

Hi.

> After reading the roadmap I have three questions:
> 1) About "Export to various formats (at least dv avi and mpeg)".
>     What does it need to do to implement export to DV? Do I have to work on
> KRender?

If you mean export to a dv file, yes. All that is needed is to rewrite the
"KRender::render( const KURL &url )" function so that it stops the normal
consumer, creates a new one (like it is done in KRender::createVideoXWindow)
that is based on libdv or avformat depending on the file format we want. Then
add the "target" file and set "real_time" to "0" so that it does not skip
frames. Attaching the playlist and starting it should do the export.

> 2) Will Kdenlive to support the import of Kino's project?
>     I think Kino is a good tool to make keyframe editions.

I currently have no plans to do it. May be a good idea, but I prefer to
concentrate on kdenlive's features. Having said that, I just had a look at a
kino project file, and it should'n be hard to convert.

> 3) Can you describe what does it need to do to support more transitions and
> effects?

Effects:
we can only use the effects implemented in MLT. Implementing deinterlace,
gamma, mirror and watermark should be quite easy. (The effects are currently
implemented in krender.cpp but should be moved in a separate file to make
things cleaner).

Transitions:
The current crossfade transition is just a proof of concept. I am currently
thinking of a better way to manage transitions. Currently, a transition is a
link between 2 clips, but it fact I think a transition should only be
attached to one clip, and do its job whatever is on the track below. so that
a crossfade could split over several clips. I will work on this in the next
days.

Example:

track A               |  clip 1 |    clip2   |              clip 3           |
track B        |                     clip 4                     |

Hope I answered your questions. Let me know if you plan to work on something
so that we don't do the work twice.

Regards