[Kdenlive-devel] Export: correctly works only to HQ

jb jb at ader.ch
Sat Dec 30 16:37:54 UTC 2006

On Friday 29 December 2006 11:15, GeBu wrote:
> Im very glad for KDEnlive. It is what I needed. Now I can do what I need.
> I can correctly export only to "high quality" (dv or avi). I cannot
> correctly export to MPEG, MPEG4, DVD (I have not done exact tests). Only
> first clip (my first clip  is created from picture) is exported without
> effects. It is not problem for me, because I can encode high quality by
> mencoder.
> I use Debian Etch and packages from debian-multimedia.org
> I have installed: ffmpeg and DVDauthor.
> Jirka (GeBu)

I could fix my encoding problems by changing one parameter for FFMPEG.
By default, MLT passes a value of zero for parameter qscale. Changing that
value to 1 fixed my problem. Before submitting a patch to MLT, I would like
to know if it also works for you, so could you please try to do the
following :

In Kdenlive export dialog, select an export format that doesn't work for you
and copy the parameters that appear in the line just below the formats list.

For example, parameter line for MPEG 320x200 medium is:

format=mpeg video_rc_min_rate=0 video_bit_rate=500000 audio_bit_rate=64000
frequency=32000 size=320x200 progressive=1

Then go to the "Custom" tab in export dialog and create a new profile. Give
the name you want, put the correct extension (mpeg for example) and paste the
parameters from the buggy profile. Then, add "qscale=1" (without quotes) at
the end of the parameters. Click ok and try exporting with that profile.

Let me know if it solves your export problem.

regards
jb