[Kdenlive-devel] mlt in kdenlive

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Wed Oct 19 04:19:19 UTC 2005

On Tuesday  October 2005 01:42 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> My concern for using a single Dom model for both MLT and Kdenlive is that I
> am still unsure as to whether the requirements for a Dom in MLT will match
> exactly the requirements for a Dom in Kdenlive.
>
> It has always been my belief that the editor needs to have more semantic
> information about what it's timeline is, and what it is doing compared to
> what the renderer needs to know, and therefore would need to keep a
> separate DOM anyway to store this information.

That is a very good point. If it helps, you should be aware that MLT lets you
set and get arbitrary properties on any service (westley element). These
could be prefaced with a "kdenlive." prefix to qualify them in a namespace.
And they (de)serialise  with westley as well. Since the names of the
properties are saved within westley as a value and not a proper XML element
or property name, it will survive any DTD or schema validation. Finally,
since MLT has video-editing-rich objects such as playlist, track, filter, and
transition, it might provide everything that is needed. It has worked so far
for Charlie on Jahshaka.