[Kdenlive-devel] ffmpeg C++ interface

Rolf Dubitzky Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Oct 15 13:56:00 UTC 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 13:41, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> As a matter of fact, ffmpeg does not provide a single interface to
> input/output video. For example, in ffmpeg, streams and picture-based
> formats are not treated the same way (at least I can imagine this reading
> the example files). Therefore, before integrating ffmpeg into PIAVE, there
> is a need to write a common library wrapping ffmpeg libraries.

Well, maybe we mean something different by "wrappers".  When I was ranting
about "wrappers", I thought of some C++ code that does nothing else than
translating the C-API of ffmpeg into a C++-API.  These wrappers would be
independent of piave since they are e.g. also used by cinellerra.  This kind
of "wrapper" is useles in my opinion.
However, there is a lot of glue-code necessary to use ffmpeg in any
application.  The developers have a very unfortunate lack of sympathy for
users ;-)  They provide a very bad and inconsistent API for the most
powerfull and fast and complete video library I know.

Ruslan, may I suggest, that you have a look into the xine-lbrary.
 1)  You might learn a lot about how beautifull and clean you can programm in
     plain C.
 2)  You might learn how to use ffmpeg for reading and writing.
 3)  You might come to the conclusion, that it is more efficient and
     simple to use libxine as the interface to ffmpeg.  And not code in ffmpeg
     directly.

If you do this, please also have a look at enix.  enix is a (dead or sleeping)
project which provides the same clean and easy interface for video-writing
that xine provides for reading.  You will probably not use it, because it is
not complete, but you might learn something (I did anyway).

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky