[Kdenlive-devel] ffmpeg C++ interface

Jean-Michel POURE jm at poure.com
Fri Oct 15 13:41:45 UTC 2004

Le Vendredi 15 Octobre 2004 14:41, Rolf Dubitzky a écrit :
> I can give you many examples where using wrappers proved to be a pain and a
> mistake.  Just take piave, I used a C++ wrapper for libdv and one for xml
> in the beginning, but both showed _all_ of the above disadvantages, and
> eventually I got rid of them all and had a better live.

Dear Rolf,

We can only rely on your experience, as most of us are newbees in video
processing (at least, this is my case).

As a matter of fact, ffmpeg does not provide a single interface to
input/output video. For example, in ffmpeg, streams and picture-based formats
are not treated the same way (at least I can imagine this reading the example
files). Therefore, before integrating ffmpeg into PIAVE, there is a need to
write a common library wrapping ffmpeg libraries.

Anyway ffmpeg integration .... is not my field. I leave the issue of ffmpeg
integration to you and Ruslan and anyone interested.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel