[Kdenlive-devel] Scene detection

Rolf Dubitzky Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Oct 15 13:41:43 UTC 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 11:46, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > Ok, I'll try to use libavcodec.
>
> Cool, I checked-out piave from CVS and began to read the code. It was not
> updated for 6 months or so. Technically, the project may be dead.

Well, let's say sleeping ;-)

> Reading the source code, it seems that libavcodec was planned being added.
> You can find a beginning of ffmpeg class in the plug-in directory:
>
> plugins/iostream/ffmpeg
>
> I was not able to determine whether ffmpeg was planning to be used for
> output or both input/output. The ffmpeg code is very partial .

Yes, I it is not only partial, but also bit rotten.  It is not really working
in the current framework.   But when I made this small excursion into ffmpeg,
it took me only this few lines of code and a few hours to implement MPEG 1/2
output.  Any form of ffmpeg output should be fairly trivial.  input may be
different.

> > What's with scene detection? Does Kdenlive work with it?
>
> I don't know. Ask Jason, he is the hero working on his own with virtually
> no help.

The scenedetection in piave is working.  Scenes are detected via the
"new-scene"-flag as provided in DV or via a sudden jump in the recording time
tag of a frame.  Together this is pretty relyable.

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky