[Kdenlive-devel] Re: Status of the project

Jean-Michel POURE jm at poure.com
Thu Oct 7 11:00:53 UTC 2004

Le Jeudi 7 Octobre 2004 12:22, jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk a écrit :
> The code for dealing with video formats is in piave, ask Rolf for specific
> directions on where to find it :-)

ffmpeg cvs version can handle DV and mpeg-4 quite nicely (0.48 and 0.49-pre1
are broken). Here is my daily ffmpeg compilation script:

cvs update -C -P -d
make clean
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-mp3lame --enable-vorbis
--enable-faad --enable-faac --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads --enable-xvid
--enable-a52 --enable-pp --enable-dts
make

To compile, you will need a bunch of libraries available from the Debian
Marillat repository.

Then, you can use ffmpeg or its libavcodec to recode virtually any format on
the fly. I would be nice to be able to handle any format in Piave. But here
again is the "leak" in Kdenlive, as we have to wait for Piave, which is
released only once a year.

On the other side, Kdenlive GUI and its many windows opening like pop-ups is
broken. So, even hackers like us, begin to loose confidence in the ability to
coordinate both projects.

If others agree, my proposal is:

- Jason fixes or removes poping-up windows under KDE 3.2 and tries to fix
other bugs (without adding features).

- Ruslan adds libavcodec support in Piave. As libavcodec usage is fairly
simple, this must be doable, but I never studied the question. Do you think
it is hard to do Jason?

- Jean-Michel creates an autogen.sh script and commits debian and RPM
compilation scripts to CVS. The idea is to release binaries to attract
developers.

After a week or so of work, we may be able to release something functional and
discuss further. What do you think?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel