[Kdenlive-devel] Status of the project

Jean-Michel POURE jm at poure.com
Thu Oct 7 08:46:34 UTC 2004

Le Jeudi 7 Octobre 2004 09:30, Jason Wood a écrit :
> The biggest "TODO" is to get the effect framework finished - it is mostly
> there, as I recall, but the user interface does not fully expose the
> keyframes to the user yet - i.e. there is a solid week or so of user
> interface work to be done.

Dear Jason,

Reading Kdenlive source code, I understand there was a lot of work and effort
put in the development. My personal feeling is that Kdenlive is lagging
behind, because there is not yet a small community taking care of
development.

So, the question is more: how can you build up a small community around this
beautiful project? A projects like Kdenlive should have 2 or 3 lead
developers, 20 hackers providing patches and testing and 2000 users

From my point of view, I would very much like a better ./configure and/or
autogen.sh script. This would allow more people to test and use Kdenlive.
Also, it would probably allow the release of binary packages more easily.
This way you can start having a small community of users.

On a coordination side, the lack of maintenance of Piave seems to hinder the
project. Several people may be willing to enter the project, but how can we
be sure that Piave is still maintained...

From a technical point of view, when I last compiled Kdenlive under KDE 3.2,
the application started in multi-frame mode, displaying several windows
without the ability to view anything. This is very sad, because in such
cases, most people will turn way from Kdenlive.

Still, whenever a minimal application is available (working ./configure
script, binary packages, application with minimal start/quit features),
Kdenlive is likely to be maintained by a small community. But there needs to
be something workable first.

In the end, my first TODO would be that Kdenlive should be able to make
non-desctructive editing of any video format, not just DV. There should be
way to use ffmpeg to allow the editing of any format. Most of my family
videos are stored under mpeg-4 for space reasons (there are "hours" of them).
So I really need mpeg-4 support (maybe mpeg-2 in rendering)...

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel