[Kdenlive-devel] capturing

Rolf Dubitzky Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 26 02:04:03 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 11:36, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> hhmm ... I don't know how avid is handling this internally, but you can do
> all this with avid's capture cool ...

As I said, you a free to remove anything after you captured but I really don't
see  the benefit in doing this during the capture process. I don't know avid,
but I anm certain, that they are not able to capture without sound. And even
if they remove the sound from the DV frame, the filesize would be the same.
Most likely they save an AVI file and attach (or don't attach) a seperate
sound track which contains the audio which is also entangled in the DV frame.

> but then there will be (sometimes) a lot of unused footage remaining on
> harddisk, what should be avoided if possible IMHO ... although I know that
> harddisk capabilities are pretty cheap to purchase at the moment ;-)

A PAL DV frame is 144000 byte. With or without audio doesn't matter. You don't
save a single byte if you remove the audio. You overwrite it with zeros.

>> just an example:
> some time ago I had to capture footage from an old hi-8 camcorder having
> just one audio track (conversion to dv was done by an external analog2dv
> converter == dazzle hollywood bridge). So why capturing an audio track with
> no sound?

PLease try it out yourself. Capture raw dv with and without audio. The
filesize is _exacly_ the same. I would be intersted if not. (I don't know the
DV spec that well)

> ok, tape analysis is cool, but is also very stressful for the camcorder's
> hardware and sometimes veeery slow

I agree that this is not usefull for everybody. Having a good
split-at-new-recording is probably much more improtant. But anyway, you don't
have to use it if it doen't work well with your hardware.

> So, just another suggestion, why don't you guys install avid on your
> machines to check out some of this features?

That would mean to boot windows which inflicts physical pain to my spine.

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky