[Kdenlive-devel] XML representation for effects.

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Mar 8 15:30:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 10:29, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 07 March 2004 12:53, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 February 2004 05:36, Jason Wood wrote:
> > > <seq>
> > > 	<effect>
> > > 		<inputs>
> > > 			<video src="../samples/4x3-PAL.dv" clipBegin="0" clipEnd="2"/>
> > > 		</inputs>
> > > <!-- This video tag can contain properties and keyframes for the effect,
> > > however the invertfilter does not have any. -->
> > > 		<video effect="invertfilter"/>
> > > 	</effect>
> > > </seq>
> >
> > Why do we need the <effect> tag? It looks redundant... maybe I'm missing
> > something... why did we introduce it?
>
> I believe it is performing a similar job to a par tag - an effect is a "video"
> that s the output of one or more videos manipulated in some way.

IMO, the SMIL Transition Effects module is perhaps the weakest in the
specification. It is hard for me to comment on your implementation from
this vantage point; however, it looks like you are treating an effect as
a time container, when it is not. It is more like a filter applied to a
time region. I believe SMIL only allows them to be applied to media
objects rather than any time container, but I would have to dig though
the schema to know for sure. I was planning to not use SMIL for effects
anyway. One thing you need to figure out is how to keep track of the the
clips that have already been rendered for an effect.