[Kdenlive-devel] AVI to DV

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Mar 1 22:52:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 17:26, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 04:43, Ruslan Popov wrote:
> >
> > But neither Kino nor KdenLive work with this file.
>
> Heh, I just tested it as well, and indeed Kino can not open that AVI. To

I took a look at the AVI file in an utility we have in dvgrab called
riffdump. There are a couple of odd things. First, 2 of the first 3
video frames has a size of zero. If kino code has a problem with that,
it could be worked around. Also, it is dependent upon the source file,
and perhaps I could set a start position in mencoder to workaround it.

The other problem is worse in that audio frames are not interleaved with
video frames on a 1:1 basis. This is not required in AVI, but it sure
makes editing nicer, and therefore Kino and probably piave requires it.
In my case, coming from a DivX/MP3 file, the audio interleave factor
seems to coincide with the GOP size of the source. I did not see
mencoder avi options to change it, but there might be one. With rawdv,
there are few options and audio is always interleaved with each video
frame. However, mencoder does not support rawdv output. Therefore, I
recommend just using ffmpeg to generate rawdv.

Also, you should look at the program avidemux2 for working with DivX and
mpeg files. It is a very basic editor, but has nice filtering and
transcoding capability.