[Kdenlive-devel] AVI to DV

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Mar 1 22:26:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 04:43, Ruslan Popov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've tried followed:
>
> mencoder \
> 	-vop scale=720:576 \
> 	-ovc libdv \
> 	-oac pcm \
> 	-o result-dv.avi \
> 	brigada.avi
>
> Then I can successfully view the result file with mplayer.
>
> But neither Kino nor KdenLive work with this file.

Heh, I just tested it as well, and indeed Kino can not open that AVI. To
me, it is rather amazing since I have updated and tested the AVI reading
code with a number of outputs from Windows as well as ffmpeg and
transcode at some time. I have to debug this. Meanwhile, that is the
nature of AVI more often than not; it is a real pain in the ass when it
comes to compatibility.
Here is an example using ffmpeg to produce raw DV - a very simple format
that is hard to screw up:
ffmpeg -i foo.avi -s pal -r pal -ac 2 -ar 48000 test.dv