[Kdenlive-devel] Re: [Dvdauthor-developer] Live DVD Authoring / Editing CD

qdvdauthor qdvdauthor at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 27 09:46:57 UTC 2004

Scott T. Smith wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 00:12, qdvdauthor wrote:
>

>>I would like to ask if some of you would be interested in putting
>>together a live bootable CD (similar to, or based on Knoppix), which is
>>not too bloated, say around 20-50MBytes, and has all one needs to
>>author, and burn Video DVDs, VCDs, CDs et al.
>>

>not sure the point.  anyone who wants to burn DVDs/CDs will have the
>media files stored somewhere, and that (probably) means they already
>have an OS of some sort installed.  Wouldn't it just be easier to
>compile the said programs for that OS?

Why ... not neccesary, if he's just starting out or wants to toy a
little. I agree that you should have the cd / dvd - burner free though,
but there are live systems which don't need to have the CD in the drive
all the time.

>>I think this would be a very interesting project. I am currently still
>>in pre-alpha mode for 'Q' DVD-Author but I already get some messages
>>about compile problems. With a bootable CD we could ensure that all
>>applications (kdenlive, dvdauthor, kino etc.) are working propperly
>>together and the user could check if it is working for him.
>>

>The fact that some users have problems compiling programs is not a
>compelling reason to have Yet Another Live Distro.  In my opinion, there
>are way too many live distros (I think there should be two: Knoppix, and
>a tiny rescue disc).

I respectfully disagree, the more the better :). The compile issue is
just a trigger, not the reason.

>You can always prepackage binary versions of your programs for those
>that cannot compile for themselves, or specify the minimum requirements
>for compiling.  Also, autoconf is your friend (be sure to distribute
>pregenerated 'configure' scripts in addition to 'configure.ac' because
>autoconf is very version specific)

I know but I also know of the hell you have to go through to compile
some unmaintained 'old' source code on your supder duper new Linux
2.8.12 -ac299 (which is the Linux release I hope to have reached beta
stage for my application ;)

>	Scott

The point of this live CD should be to give a 100% solution to a
complicated and currently underperformed matter in Linux. All the
library dependencies, application choice etc are not the easiest to
overcome for Joe Average with his newly bought camcorder. I know because
I feel like him at the current rate. I also know I would have tried a
Live CD before anything else, out of convinience.

The problem is that currently you can not plug your camcorder into you
new Linux install and pop up a program to download the video, edit it,
author a DVD menu and burn it onto VCD, or DVD. Currently you got to
find all neccesary tools.

Varol Okan :)
Ps. Scott I am not bashing you, I appreciate your feedback.