Join projects? -- was -- Re: [Kdenlive-devel] AVI support

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 06:55:57 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 05:03, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a comment ....
>
> it would be cool if you guys would join your projects to create a similar
> functionallity like this tool I saw by a friend which seems to become (is)
> very popular in windows world, because it helps the user to finish hisng
> project from capturing to the final movie (also burning a dvd). Please have
> a look here:
> http://site.magix.net/index.php?4625&version=deluxe

I have seen a number of similar applications, and they are indeed popular (or
becoming popular). The only real issue is that in my mind, Kdenlive is aiming
towards the Premier/Final Cut Pro/Avid end of video editing as opposed to the
Windows Movie Creator end of video editing. i.e., it is aiming for the
semi-professional/professional end of editing more than the home user - Hence
the (admittedly long-term) plans for project management, etc.

This is not because of the infrastructure, but because of a conscious decision
as to what the UI is aiming to achieve. It would be quite possible to write a
simpler "cut down" version of the Kdenlive interface in much less time than
it has taken to get what we have so far (because we could re-use a lot of the
code that is already written, and piave would not need to be touched in the
slightest).

I'll get onto it when I finish Kdenlive 1.0 ;-) but if anyone is interested in
trying in the meantime, let me know and we can organize the best way to do it
without duplicatig code.

Cheers,
Jason

--