[Kdenlive-devel] effects

Rolf Dubitzky Rolf.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 10 09:48:05 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 00:08, Jason Wood wrote:
> > One point why I am in favor of doing this is, that this will help to
> > seperate the _renderer_ from the _player_ parts of piave. This is a good
> > thing since I eventually would like to drop as many of the player stuff
> > as possible. There are enough good players out there.
>
> I am not so sure... The main advantage with piave being renderer and player
> is that I assume there is nothing (other than hard drive and cpu speed ;-)
> ) from 'playing' an unrendered video, or at least, seeking through it on
> the timeline. Now, playing is not something that I expect - but seeking
> about an unrendered video is something that I think is very useful.

I think the idea is, that you have a SMIL player which is supporting XML
namespaces, in particular the PIAVE namespace. If you ask this player to
display a certain position in a SMIL file the player will render it. If this
involves calls to piave to render certain effects, the player will do so.
This is probably far down the road, and I am not even sure it's possible.

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky