[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive on debian

liebrand at apollo.nu liebrand at apollo.nu
Wed Nov 12 14:29:45 UTC 2003

> This really puzzles me, I think it might just be something strange happening
> on your computer :-) I've checked my local tarballs for kdenlive 0.2.3 and
> the missing source files are all there. If anyone else has had this issue,
> please let me know and I'll check the tarballs in more detail.

Yes, it could very well be something on my box. However, I dont know enough of
that build process to know if the Makefile.am ever gets changed. Seems odd that
'just those files' would go missing from the kdenlive_SOURCES ?

> clips running at twice the speed
> Rolf is the person to speak to about this :-)

Well any ideas are welcome. I thought it might have to do with that
SIZEOF_SF_COUNT_T variable, but using either 8 or 4 does not make a difference
it seems.

> I guess it's time to figure out exactly what functionality we do need in this
> area :-)

Expect some feature requests ;-)

> At the most basic level, we need the ability to select between PAL and NTSC,
> without which we are unlikely to gain much of a user base over in the USA ;-)
> but which options are "project specific", and which are "export specific"?
> Here is my take on it :
>
> - You choose a native format for your project. This chooses the base
> framerate, and base aspect ratio for you movie. Your choice here will most
> likely be affected by the final export format of your movie, so several
> presets (PAL, NTSC, 16:9, etc)  will make a lot of sense.
>
> - When you export the timeline to a movie, you have at your disposal all of
> the various framerates/resolutions/etc that the export codecs provide. The
> native project format will be hammered into whichever format you choose
> (unless you are sensible and choose a native project format that matches or
> export format in which case no hammering will be necessary)
>
> - The "resolution" of a movie while you are editing it will be determined by
>
> the size of the monitor that you preview on; although this might not be good
> enough when background rendering, etc. come into play.

Yes, I would agree. But I think it would be good to have basic settings grouped
in a template, so a bit more global than your suggestion. More targetted at what
the user is going to use this project for. So more like when you start a new
project you get to choose between (example):
- VCD
- SVCD
- Web low res
- Web high res
- Manual configuration

When you export the timeline, it will use your project settings to do the
export, showing you the configuration and thus allowing you to tweak it if
needed. Ofcourse you can always go into the project settins and re-configure any
of them if you please. I would imagine preview would also be in the same
resolution as your project settings (if only to confirm what you are doing, and
ensure your preview will look like what the export would look like)

/J