[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive on debian

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 01:05:13 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 11 Nov 2003 8:33 pm, liebrand at apollo.nu wrote:
> Just a quick update on getting kdenlive up and running on debian: it's
> working! with a fair bit of help from Jason (thanks!) we got it compiling
> and running.
>
> As for the tasks to get you there, for those intereseted, or for you Jason
> to put it in a faq:

Hopefully we will be able to make a new release that is a little more "debian
friendly" - apart from having to install KDE3, most of the issues you faced
seem to be autoconf/automake/configuration issues.

> 1- Get a version of debian that runs KDE3. I tried to do upgrade bits and
> pieces of my kde and failed misserably. Instead just get a distro (or
> flavour of debian) that comes with kde 3.  A very nice and clean distro is
> Knoppix 3.3, but choose whatever you fancy.
>
> 2- getting piave 0.2.3 compiling:
> I did not have the correct compiler flags, so I had to add them. I simply
> exported these, I'm sure there's other ways but here you go:
> export CFLAGS="-DENABLE_DEBUG=0 -DENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL_CODE=0"
> export CXXFLAGS="-DENABLE_DEBUG=0 -DENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL_CODE=0"
>
> (not sure if you need both, but what the heck)
>
> run ./configure and then manually edit piave-0.2.3/config.h and add:
> #define CPU_IS_LITTLE_ENDIAN 1  /* for i686 */
> #define CPU_IS_BIG_ENDIAN 0
> #define SIZEOF_SF_COUNT_T 4   /*not sure aobut this one.. should it be 8?
> what does it do?*/
>
> Add #include <assert.h> to
> /piave-0.2.3/utils/pgrab.cc
>
> run make and make install and it should work.
>
> 3- getting kdenlive 0.2.3 compiling:
> run ./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/share/qt --prefix=/usr
>
> (if /usr is the base for kde which it seems to be for knoppix)
>
> the first time around it compiled, linked, but fell over on the french
> docs, which was slightly odd.. Redo'ing this from scratch made it bail out
> on the linker. For every class it had undefined references for, I needed to
> add that source file to the kdenlive_SOURCES in
> kdenlive-0.2.3/kdenlive/Makefile.am

This really puzzles me, I think it might just be something strange happening
on your computer :-) I've checked my local tarballs for kdenlive 0.2.3 and
the missing source files are all there. If anyone else has had this issue,
please let me know and I'll check the tarballs in more detail.

> then it worked.
>
> I now have it up and running, but it doesn't like any of the avi files I've
> given it so far... It seems to play them all at twice the speed. Not sure
> why though. And it gets a lot of warnings in the debug window to do with
> sound. However I'm guessing that might be cuz its trying to play things at
> twice the speed.

Rolf is the person to speak to about this :-)

> Once i fix that (or at least find out whats going wrong), I'll try and
> package two .debs together. One for piave and one for kdenlive. With a bit
> of luck, I'll be able to add my server as a debian package repositry, which
> will allow other users to apt-get install piave and kdenlive for debian.
> But there's not much point right now, with all clips playing at 2x the
> correct speed.
>
> Which brings me to a question. I can't find any 'project settings'
> anywhere. Is this simply not there yet, or is it a design thing? I would
> expect some overal project setting like framerate and resolution, which
> would apply to the complete timeline no matter what the individual settings
> of the clips are. Is this planned, or is this s'posed to work differently
> than I would expect?

No, it's missing functionality.

I guess it's time to figure out exactly what functionality we do need in this
area :-)

At the most basic level, we need the ability to select between PAL and NTSC,
without which we are unlikely to gain much of a user base over in the USA ;-)

but which options are "project specific", and which are "export specific"?

Here is my take on it :

- You choose a native format for your project. This chooses the base
framerate, and base aspect ratio for you movie. Your choice here will most
likely be affected by the final export format of your movie, so several
presets (PAL, NTSC, 16:9, etc)  will make a lot of sense.

- When you export the timeline to a movie, you have at your disposal all of
the various framerates/resolutions/etc that the export codecs provide. The
native project format will be hammered into whichever format you choose
(unless you are sensible and choose a native project format that matches or
export format in which case no hammering will be necessary)

- The "resolution" of a movie while you are editing it will be determined by
the size of the monitor that you preview on; although this might not be good
enough when background rendering, etc. come into play.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jason

--