[Kdenlive-devel] Debian support

liebrand at apollo.nu liebrand at apollo.nu
Sun Nov 9 18:30:06 UTC 2003

Well I've got some info for your FAQ page on how to get kdenlive compiling on
debian ... i say 'compiling'.. not yet 'running' ;-)

1- Don't mess with KDE yourself! ;-)
Basically find a distro that comes with the KDE3, or dont bother. I've tried to
upgrade the bits and pieces of KDE one at a time, and ended having a completely
non-usable system.. hehe.. But I've now installed the latest knoppix (3.3) and I
can happily compile piave and kdenlive.... well... almost

Although all dependencies are now all in place, I had (/have) some problems
compiling. First, piave (0.2.0) compiled fine. But then kdenlive (0.2.0) gave
some errors. So instead of looking at the problems, I decided it was time to
move up anyhow.

So I'm trying to compile 0.2.3. But Piave is not happy. It took me a while to
workout that I had to have the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS (i did both to be sure):
-DENABLE_DEBUG=0
-DENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL_CODE=0

It hadn't listed that anywhere on the piave site, but at least now the
compilation went a little further.. only to halt on:

In file included from sndfile.c:24:
sfendian.h:33:10: #error "Target CPU endian-ness unknown. May need to hand edit
src/config.h"

Is there another flag I need to set somewhere? Having things not defined is an
easy one... figuring out what cpu type i have to set where is a little more
tricky ;-)

/Cheers,
Jelte