[Kdenlive-devel] transitions

Rolf Dubitzky R.Dubitzky at Physik.Tu-Dresden.de
Mon May 19 11:42:28 UTC 2003

What I think of looks something like the attached pic.

Whatever it will look like in the end. There are some important features we
should not miss:

- easy to see at which frame the effect starts/stops

- easy to see which tracks are actually involved in the effect.

- if the effect is a transition, it must be clearly visible if
  the direction is the right one (A->B or B->A)

- easy to select the transition object.
  if the effects is selected, the should be a dialog embedded
  somewhere to change the transition parameters.

- easy to move/resize the transition, i.e. there need to be mouse
  handles and/or the mouse cursor must indicate that the tarnsition
  will be modified with the following mouse action.

- if possible, show which kind of effect (name)

In the example I gave in the attached pic you can even modify the effect if
you drag the red handles of the effect line. This is possible with audio in
MovieDVPro and I like the feature pretty much, but it would be sufficient to
present such a line in a separate dialog in case the effect is selected.

And before we thnk about three track effects, there is something much more
important and maybe difficult. We need to think about how to visualize the
audi part of the track. We need to visualize a transition there too. This is
seperate to the video transition. Also the cut might be at a different place.
A veary simple and common kind of cut is, to show video A and fade in sound
from track B for a while. After a few seconds, switch the video from A to B
to. That is a simple and powerfull way to soften rough cuts and I think it
would be nice to have this possibility in kdenlive.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky          http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky
 e-mail:         Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik dot TU-Dresden dot de