[Kdenlive-devel] transitions

Rolf Dubitzky R.Dubitzky at Physik.Tu-Dresden.de
Mon May 19 09:47:12 UTC 2003

On Sunday 18 May 2003 21:46, Jason Wood wrote:
> That's because I have not really got a plan at this stage :-) All I have is
> a feature list of what I want to be possible :
>
> * It should be possible to perform a transition based upon three
[...snip bright stuff..]
> * Each clip involved in a transition may itself be a compound clip
[...snip more bright stuff ...]
> * The case of ... *EXTREMELY SIMPLE* :-)
> 1. We have two separate tracks for clips, and a transition track between
> them. Drag a clip to each track, slightly overlapping, and drag a
> "transition clip" to the transition track.
>
> Advantages : Quite simple.
> Disadvantages : Doesn't take into account transitions with more than two
> clips.

>=3-track effects are a very interedting thing and I think we should keep them
in mind, but I think a soluton thatworks with two tracks is difficult enough
for the moment and will do till V1.0 ?

> 2. We use a single track. Drag one clip on to it, drag another clip on and
> place so that they slightly overlap. The overlapping area automatically
> turns into a "transition area", which can then be selected to adjust it's
> properties.
>
> Advantages : Simple and efficient. There is no need for a third operation
> to create a transition, you simply need to overlap to clips on a track.
> There is no confusion over which track is currently "live" as can happen in
> AB editing (at least in Premier), since everything occurs on a single
> track.
>
> Disadvantages : When two clips overlap completely, how do you allow
> selection of the two clips again? We have compressed our timeline from two
> tracks to one - is that a good thing, or more confusing?
>

> There is a third solution which I am thinking of, sort of a cross between
> the above two ideas, in which a transition would be 'drawn' across multiple
> tracks (I envisage it as a translucent blue rectangle spanning multuiple
> clips). This would have the advantage of allowing the transition to touch
> multiple tracks, but might be complicated to use, I am not sure yet.

I like this idea _very_ much. I think it would be pretty easy to use, and even
more intuitive than the usual "effect-track". Just make sure, that the tracks
and the shaded 'transition-overlay-rectangle' have nice mouse handles to
select/drag/resize them.

Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky          http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky
 e-mail:         Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik dot TU-Dresden dot de