[Kdenlive-devel] Finally, a few keyboard shortcuts.

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 11 12:43:03 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 1:35 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 May 2003 14:47, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> > > My biggest concern for the text edit-style idea is of how to choose
> > > which clip you want to insert in the first place. I'm still thinking
> > > about that one.
> >
> > Now I'm not sure I follow you ;-)
> > But I think you have to do a simple 3-point edit, right?
> > I mean ... first you have to select a clip to insert, set an In and an
> > Out point, then you have set an In or Out point (or both) in the
> > timeline,
>
> This sounds like a very complicated descriptio for "open a file and drag it
> to the timeline."  You can set in/out point anywhere, and usually setting
> them once is enough...

I understand what Reinhard means. Basically, at the moment if you select a
clip and drag it to the timeline, you get the entire clip, which you then
have to set the in/out points on.

At the moment, if you select a clip in the project, it will appear in the clip
monitor, and you can set in/out points but they are not hooked into anything.
All that is left to be done so that Reinhard's solution works is to be able
to drag the clip from the *monitor* to the timeline, which will automatically
cut the clip to the in/out points. Now, with snap to start/end of clips +
seek position, you can position that clip with as much or little accuracy as
you wish.

> > select a track and finally hit a key to finish this edit (maybe Enter ?).
> > This edit could be based on which edit mode is activated ... normally
> > there should be an insert and an overwrite mode.
>
> No, we don't need an "overwrite" mode. You just drack the clip to the
> timeline, and the clip will only attach to a empty track. "Overwrite" is a
> redundant operation for an editor with infinit number of video tracks. It
> just adds to the confusion.

I have been thinking about an overwrite mode to see if it would work, thinking
in a similar way to how some sound editors work. However I agree with Rolf, I
don't think it would be a very intuitive way of working, and would be very
error prone.

> > So when the insert mode is
> > activated the new scene will be inserted without deleting the other scene
> > - movie will be extended - and in overwrite mode it will be deleted -
> > duration stay the same -
>
> As I said, that doesn't make much sense if you have unlimited video tracks
> and. To "overwrite" a part of a clip with another clip, just drag the new
> part to a video track "above" the old clip (and define a transition effect
> if you like)  This behaviour seem ver simple. Easy is beautifull.
>
> > The only difference is that this modes (capture, editing, playout) could
> > be helpful for beginners, so they don't have to know very much details
> > about Kdenlive. Advanced users could use the advanced layout in adition
> > to this general modes.

I still don't see the difference between the layouts we currently have :-)
Well, we need some default layouts instead of everyone having to set them up
themselves, but that's it, unless I'm misunderstanding you?

> Kdenlive cannot do any capturing yet, and when it comes to that point,
> we'll have to provide a special GUI for capturing anyway. caputing id
> something that is very much independent from editing anyway.

> > > You mean vi-style editing commands, right? It has crossed my mind ;-)
> >
> > I never used vi ..... but you can tell us more details about your
> > thoughts .... Maybe I will be a vi-user afterwards ;-)
>
> I wouldn't bet a cent ;-)
> > >
> > > Ok, I'm not sure how easy this is to do with the KDE
> > > shortcul/accelerator architecture but I'll take a look.

> [... snip ... many keys ...]
>
> Ok, here my two cents for all this
> "press-n-keys-m-buttons-and-drag-something" ideas. This might provide some
> quick access to some functionality and there might be people who prefer a
> "shift-P-click" to an additional "[x] loop" checkbox option. But PLEASE,
> whatever chift-Ctrl-w-u-left-click you implement, PLEASE, don't hide these
> shortcuts in a "soon-to-be-released" user guide. Make them _AUTOMATICALLY_
> available in some sortof configuration file a help window or whatever.
<snip rant>
> Oooops.. many words... did I make clear what I want to suggest? Does it
> make sense?

Sure, just a long winded way of saying "all shortcuts should be available via
the menus ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--