[Kdenlive-devel] Finally, a few keyboard shortcuts.

Reinhard Amersberger protux at web.de
Wed May 7 12:47:48 UTC 2003

kdenlive-devel at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 06.05.03 23:31:19:

> On Monday 05 May 2003 10:27 am, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > no comments about the editing ideas I mentioned?
> > Again some lost message, I've didn't received?
>
> Apologies, I've been AFK for a couple of days :-)

Okay, so the list seems to work properly ;-)

> > Also it would be interestedly to know more about your editing ideas,
> > following text editing concepts. Because also for editing it is necessary
> > to have an overwrite and an insert mode, which will be  toggled in text
> > editors  by pressing the insert key (I'm at work right now, so I just check
> > this behaviour using windows WordPad. Did some Linux text editors - other
> > then vi or emacs ;-)) -  following the same concept?).
>
> I'm not sure how far the analogy can be held before it becomes problematic. I
> can see some potential for wanting to insert a clip in the middle of another
> clip, in effect performing the equivalent of two razors, a delete and an
> insert in one go, but if it would have good accuracy, I am unsure. Of course,
> you could then resize it, etc.
>
> My biggest concern for the text edit-style idea is of how to choose which clip
> you want to insert in the first place. I'm still thinking about that one.

Now I'm not sure I follow you ;-)
But I think you have to do a simple 3-point edit, right?
I mean ... first you have to select a clip to insert, set an In and an Out point, then you have set an In or Out point (or both) in the timeline, select a track and finally hit a key to finish this edit (maybe Enter ?).
This edit could be based on which edit mode is activated ... normally there should be an insert and an overwrite mode.
So when the insert mode is activated the new scene will be inserted without deleting the other scene - movie will be extended - and in overwrite mode it will be deleted - duration stay the same -

> > > Maybe some special view modes could be another possibillity.
> > > I mean having a standard view mode showing the source monitor and the
> > > timeline monitor, a trim mode, a capture mode, a play out mode, ..... So
> > > user simply have to choose one of this modes - maybe by the Fn keys - to
> > > re-arrange the interface for this special purposes very fast.
>
> I'm not sure I follow you, how does this differ from the implemented idea of
> layouts?

The only difference is that this modes (capture, editing, playout) could be helpful for beginners, so they don't have to know very much details about Kdenlive.
Advanced users could use the advanced layout in adition to this general modes.

> > > I also would like to move the selected stuff more precise.
> > > The idea is to select a thing that should be moved by entering an exact
> > > value. Things could be clips, borders, markers, In/Out points, key
> > > frames, ...... Some examples:
> > > - Select one or some clips or just a part of a clip, then enter 10 and
> > > hit a key  to move this 10 frames to right. - Select the right border of
> > > a clip, enter -1.10 and hit a key to move this clip border 1 second and
> > > 10 frames to the left side.
>
> You mean vi-style editing commands, right? It has crossed my mind ;-)

I never used vi ..... but you can tell us more details about your thoughts ....
Maybe I will be a vi-user afterwards ;-)

> > > I've heard about a technique called JMB (libmustux) ........  hehehe -
> > > just again the old joke!  ;-))
>
> :-)
>
> > > Also here comes some more ideas enhancing the In/Out and loop
> > > functionallity:
> > >
> > > - Enter a value and press the I or O key to move the In/out point (like
> > > the axamples above).
>
> Ok, I'm not sure how easy this is to do with the KDE shortcul/accelerator
> architecture but I'll take a look.
>
> > > - Press U to reset the In/Out points.
>
> Should be straight forward.
>
> > > - Press P to play from In to Out point
>
> Ok.
>
> > > - Press shift+P to loop the region from In to Out point.
>
> Well, when looping is implemented, sure ;-)
>
> > > - Go to the last edit and Press L to loop the last edit (some seconds
> > > before and some after)
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean with this one. Is the idea to let you have
> another attempt at setting the in/out points, or so that you can view the
> edit in relation to the timeline?

Yes, this could be helpful to check an selected edit very easy and comfortable IMHO ;-)
But also here user coould have two functionallities analog to 'play from In to Out' point.
So maybe press 'L' to play this edit one time and press 'shift + L' to loop this edit.

> > > - Select the In or Out point - maybe by shift+I and shift+O - and use the
> > > left and right arrow to move it by frames, just like the timeline cursor.
> > >
> > > - Press P+I to start a short play back (3 seconds ?) at the In point.
> > >
> > > - Press P+O to start a short play 'thru' the Out point
>
> I'll see what I can do. Stay tuned :-)

SURE!! :-)

greetings
Reinhard
Mit der Grupppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail können Sie eine SMS an alle